Here are some points I felt would be helpful to those starting their music production career and to those who are considering to become a music producer. If you have any other points to add feel free to leave a comment.
1. Consult/Hire an Entertainment Lawyer to prepare the type of contracts you will need to legally protect yourself and your intellectual properties. Form an official business for your production company.
2. Put consistent time into maximizing your skills, learning new skills and continue to improve daily; music is a feeling, make what you feel, stay in tune with the art while increasing your fundamentals of your craft. I encourage you to hire quality & reputable individuals or businesses to fill voids that you may not be skilled to do like graphic design, mixing or marketing; someone you trust with a proven track record of a specific skill that you need to elevate your career.
3. Create a marketing strategy and plan for on & offline branding and promotions of your production. Have a professional mix on your production that you are showcasing to help maximize your opportunities for placements.
4. Build Site to showcase and sell your beats, this also offers the ability to showcase songs featuring your production.
5. Every and I mean every artist in your immediate area should know you exist and have a place online to hear your work. Here’s an idea, create a platform for yourself in your market by doing a project with local artists featuring your production and promote the project in the market, on/offline. Speak to your lawyer on the legalities to make it an official release.
6ixx. Travel to other markets with your production, maximize your personal network and create new connections at various entertainment industry events and events in general where potential clients will be networking.
These are just some tips that crossed my mind when thinking of those are just getting started or those considering to become a producer. Finally, be authentic in all you do, in life and creating artistically. If these tips were helpful please let me know. Positive energy to all!!!